How many people get to babysit a calf for a week? Grandma and Grandpa were out of town when their Cow delivered this beautiful calf several weeks early. Though mama Cow loved her baby they couldn't seem to get the nursing thing down. We ended up with a calf in our back yard, which made feeding her so much easier. There were a couple bumpy days, but she's on her feet now and looking good. Of course she needs her mama and a good farm, so back to Grandma and Grandpa's she goes when they get home Saturday night. What an adventure for our family!
that is so cool! Did you just feed the cow whole milk from the store or did you milk the mom, then feed the baby?
ReplyDeleteThe first few bottles were milk from the store, then we bought calf formula. I guess when the milk gets pasturised it removes alot of the vitamins the calves need, so regular milk wont work for them unless it's raw, (straight from the cow). I didn't think my skills at milking were quite good enough for our mama beef cow. She didn't want anyone touching her down there after she was engorged. Sorry, probably more info then you wanted:)
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful experience for your kids, they'll have that story to tell for a long time. :)
ReplyDeletewow. that is hilarious. I was just laughing to myself the whole time. I'm sure it all wasn't very funny at the time though.....way to go girl!
ReplyDelete